FASTRACK BAREBOAT SKIPPER IN THE ALGARVE
An intensive 12 day course that will take the novice and develop the skills required to become a Fastrack Bareboat Skipper competent to charter a sailing boat in Greece, Croatia and any other charter destination.
We also include the VHF certificate with this Fast Track Course. The course whilst covering all the subject matter still has time for relaxation in the evenings. An enjoyable course with like minded students who have the time to study in an intensive environment.
The skipper must take responsibility for performing individual tasks, and for the safety of the yacht and those on board. Being the skipper is a rewarding experience, and it is recommended that your training follows the worldwide recognised and respected structure that IYT International Bareboat Skipper provides.
|NOT INCLUDED|| |
- Command of a vessel up to a maximum length of 78 ft /24 meters
- In coastal waters up to 20 miles offshore.
- In daylight hours and in fair conditions with moderate wind and sea conditions
- This certificate is the level of competence that one needs when chartering a boat in the Mediterranean or West Indies where there are restrictions in terms of cruising area and distance from the base and the vessel has to be safely moored in a marina or anchored before dark.
- Responsibilities of a bareboat skipper
- Crew safety checks
- Hull and rig checks
- Machinery and systems checks
- Fuel and water capacity and range
- Menus and quantities
- Float plan
- Sources of meteorological information
- Weather patterns
- Sea and land breezes
- Cloud types and formations
- Pilotage and passage planning
- Considerations when planning a passage
- Routine for navigating a coastal passage
- Passage strategy
- Port regulations, customs, immigration
- Pilotage plans
- Vessel handling in confined quarters
- Mooring, anchoring, coming alongside
- Ropes, knots, care and use of lines
- General deck work
- Tides and currents theory
- Tidal heights, springs and neaps
- Rule of “twelfths”
- Position fixing, running fixes
- Plotting the effect of tides and currents
- Collision regulations
- Lights, shapes and sounds
- Application of the regulations
- Advanced dingy handling
The International Bareboat Skipper has almost the same syllabus that Day Skipper course from RYA. We are also RYA Instructors.
In the evening we will moor or anchor near shore, with plenty of free time to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
Pre-course experience requirements:
The minimum suggested pre-course experience is 5 days at sea, 50 miles. The International Crew / Competent Crew course>> is an ideal prerequisite. It is also beneficial to have a basic knowledge of navigation. Participants must be at least 16 years of age.